Kesha’s mother Pebe Sebert slams BBMAs performance decision – Entertainment Weekly

5 months ago Comments Off on Kesha’s mother Pebe Sebert slams BBMAs performance decision – Entertainment Weekly

Kesha won’t perform during Sunday’s Billboard Music Awards, after Dick Clark Productions revealed Tuesday that Kemosabe Records, Dr. Luke’s label with Sony, rescinded its permission for her to play at the show.

Now, Kesha’s mother Pebe Sebert is hitting back at the decision. “Do you think that there is one male singer who could ever be ‘not allowed to sing’ on the Billboard Awards by another man???” she wrote Wednesday on Twitter. “My daughters [sic] record company wants her to fail and be broke from them dragging her through court for as long as they can.” Sebert also called for other musicians to boycott the show. “Wouldn’t it be nice if other artists stood with Kesha and refused to preform if she is not allowed to sing!” she wrote.

In a statement, Dick Clark Productions said Kemosabe Records had given written permission for Kesha to perform during the awards show, but rescinded the decision after a report surfaced May 11 about the performance. “We hope that the parties can come to an arrangement such that we can continue that long-standing relationship with a performance by Kesha on the Billboard Music Awards stage on May 22,” the statement said.

Kesha responded to the decision on Facebook, writing she had planned to pay tribute to Bob Dylan with a cover of “It Ain’t Me Babe.”

“I’m very sad and sorry to say I won’t be allowed to do this,” she wrote. “I just wanted to make very clear that this performance was about me honoring one of my favorite songwriters of all time and has never had anything at all to do with Dr. Luke. I was never going to use a picture of him, speak of him or allude to my legal situation in any way. I simply wanted to sing a song I love to honor an artist I have always looked up to. thank u all for the continued support.”

The “Die Young” musician is currently involved in a legal battle with Dr. Luke, whom she’s accused of verbal, emotional, and sexual abuse. Luke and his lawyers have denied all allegations in court and on social media. A New York State Supreme Court judge dismissed Kesha’s counterclaims against the producer last month, also rejecting her request to be let out of her contract with Dr. Luke and Kemosabe’s parent company, Sony.

Kesha was denied a preliminary injunction in February, which sought the right for the singer to record outside of the Kemosabe banner. After the ruling, Dr. Luke’s lawyer, Christine Lepera, noted the New York County Supreme Court “found that Kesha is already ‘free’ to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn’t want to.” At the time, Kesha’s former lawyer, Mark Geragos, called that claim “elusive”

Kesha recorded a version of “True Colors” with Zedd in April, but Sebert writes that her daughter is being restricted. “So are Keshas [sic] constitutional rights being violated now, judge Lady? Does every adult woman need a mans permission to do what she loves?” she tweeted. “Does Kesha have the right to pursue her happiness? Or did they only mean that for rich men?”

Sony declined to comment. Kesha and Dr. Luke did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.

See all of Sebert’s tweets below.

Kesha’s mother Pebe Sebert slams BBMAs performance decision – Entertainment Weekly