“Empire” fans were left with many questions following the Season 2 finale that ended on a major cliffhanger. Anika and Rhonda fought each other on a balcony and it appeared as though at least one of them won’t be back for Season 3. Lucious has a new wife, Hakeem has no wife and Jamal was left questioning his career following episode 18.
Each Lyon is heading into Season 3 with new obstacles to face and their lives might never be the same after the events of episode 18. What will the showrunners have planned for next season when we revisit the first family in hip hop? Below are nine questions that need to be answered next season on the drama:
1. Who Fell Off The Balcony? Season 2 came to an end with a major cliffhanger. Just as Andre (Trai Byers) went onto the balcony to get Anika (Grace Gealey) for Lucious (Terrence Howard),he stumbled upon a fight between her and his wife Rhonda (Kaitlin Doubleday). The two struggled near the railing of the balcony and it sounded like at least one of them took a long fall. Was it Anika or Rhonda that went over? Or was it both of them?
2. What Will Happen To Andre If Rhonda Dies? Andre has come a long way since Season 1. He was able to get his bipolar disorder under control and also found faith to get him through his struggles. His beliefs were slightly shaken after the death of his baby and the loss of another loved one could send Andre down a dark path. Rhonda has always been his rock and if she’s the one that went over the railing, Andre might never be the same after it.
3. Will Jamal Continue His Music Career? When Jamal (Jussie Smollett) got out of the hospital, he told his family he was done singing until they ended the family cycle of crime and violence. The finale showed signs the Lyons could be turning a corner, but then everything spiraled out of control at Hakeem’s (Bryshere Y. Gray). Jamal had written a new song for the ceremony, but he didn’t perform it after Laura called the wedding off. It appears as though Jamal is going to stick to his word of putting his music career on hold, but how long will this last?
4. What’s Next For Hakeem? Hakeem showed the most growth of any character in Season 2, but now he’s going to have to overcome heartbreak like he never has before. Laura was the first girl he truly loved, but she didn’t want to be a part of his family after seeing all of the drama and violence. Will Hakeem do his best to try to win her back in Season 3 or will he move on? There were signs of him and Tiana (Serayah) showing affection for each other again, so it’s possible we could see a reunion between the former couple in Season 3.
5. Is Cookie Really Done With Lucious? The relationship between Cookie (Taraji P. Henson) and Lucious has always been complicated. The two were growing towards one another once again in Season 2 and it looked like they were going to finally get back together. When Anika was subpoenaed, Lucious felt he had to marry Anika to prevent her from testifying against him. When he told Cookie this, it was something she was not ok with and she turned her back on Lucious. Was this the last straw for her in dealing with Lucious or trying to get back with him?
6. Who Is Shyne Johnson? Xzibit will play a crucial role in Season 3 and it’s not to pimp the Lyon’s rides. Showrunner Ilene Chaiken told Entertainment Weekly that Shyne is going to be an “important character” going forward. She said Shyne isn’t necessarily an adversary of Lucious, but the two have a history that could “come back to bite” Lucious. From what we know so far, Shyne is a dangerous and violent man, which could mean more trouble for the Lyons in Season 3.
7. Will Lucious Get Arrested Again? The FBI remains on the hunt to bring Lucious down. Lucious has a crime-filled past and it’s only a matter of time before it leads to his downfall. He’s been fortunate enough to create his own breaks and avoid being in prison for a long time, but a person can only get lucky so many times before the luck runs out. Tariq (Morocco Omari) is getting closer and closer to getting enough information to arrest Lucious and it could be a matter of time before the head of the family returns to jail.
8. How Will Lucious’ Mother Be A Factor In Season 3? “Empire” fans haven’t seen the last of Lucious’ mother, Leah Walker (Leslie Uggams). Leah will be back in Season 3 and fans can expect more revelations out of her most likely. Chaiken confirmed the return to Entertainment Weekly and that she will continue to be a challenge for her son. Leah still wants to reveal to the world that her son is a liar and it very possible she could make this happen next season.
9. What’s The Relationship Between Lucious And Tariq? Chaiken told TVLine that Tariq will also be a key factor in Season 3 and will be Lucious’ biggest threat. Leah revealed to Lucious that Tariq is his half-brother and a flashback scene showed that Tariq was the one that gunned down Lucious’ father. Expect these two siblings to square off in Season 3 and hopefully more will be revealed about how they grew up with one another. Before the reveal, it sounded like the two got along with one another growing up, but that relationship clearly changes in the Season 2 finale.
What questions do you want answered in “Empire” Season 3? Soundoff in the comments section below!